You don't have to wait until the Olympics are on to have an Olympic themed youth group activity!
- Split people into groups prior to the night and assign them a country. The members of the group should come decked out in their country's colors, with flags, face paint, etc.
- Decorate the place with flags from other countries
- Incorporate relay games or a World Record type night
- Be sure to include a mix of individual and team building activities
- Have medals on ready to hand out (you can generally buy chocolate medals at confectionery shops)
- Finish the night with a reflection or discussion on the values of the Olympics. Some are admirable - all the countries of the world joining together as one, athletes striving to be their best. But with that comes a down side - drugs, corruption, greed, etc. Competition can bring out the best and worst in people.
- The Olympic motto is "Citius, Altius, Fortius." These Latin words mean "Swifter, Higher, Stronger." Again these can be admirable goals. A similar motto of the Christian faith would be "Faith, Hope, Love".
What are some of the things your youth group are doing for the London Olympics? Share via the comments below to help other Youth Group leaders.